- I just read that the Detroit Lions are suing Charles Rogers $6.1 million of bonus money he received from the team. It seems the case went to arbitration a couple years ago and the arbitrator agreed with the Lions, but Charlie never coughed up the cash. The article then went on the say that Rogers recently served a jail sentence for violation of probation in a domestic violence case.
Just think, this guy was the second overall pick in the NFL draft just six years ago. I think Rogers failed "Decision Making 101" at Michigan State.
- Brady Quinn will be the starting quarterback Sunday against the Vikings. I smell 4 INTs.
- Ravens tight end L.J. Smith will miss the season opener due to a sore hamstring. I am stunned.
- Seahawks left tackle Walter Jones and center Chris Spencer will both miss the opener. Oh well, it's not like the 'Hawks were going to pile up the rushing yards anyway.
- Emmit Smith has predicted seven wins (or in Emmitt language, "tevin bins") for the Cowboys. Emmitt, is that peanut butter in your mouth??
Actually, here are some of my favorite "Emmittisms"...
While appearing on Sportscenter in early September 2008, Emmitt reported that the New York Giants had given the league a “bootprint” for beating the Patriots.
Emmitt Smith’s way of explaining things is, well, a bit different: “As my offense get better, my defense is gonna be that much more better.” Emmitt may have only been with ESPN for two years, but he did get more better over time.
“Rites of Patches"
Smith on New England QB Matt Cassel: “He’s stuck between a rock and a hard place. And the reason why I say that is this kid obviously has not earned the rice of patches in the locker room.”
“None and void”
Before a Monday Night Football game in Week 4 of the 2008 season, Emmitt reflected on the strong defenses and weak offensive lines of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens. He predicted that the running game for both teams that night would be “none and void.”
After the Giants upset the Pats in the final minute of Super Bowl XLII, Emmitt chimed in with this memorable line: “What happened tonight, the strength of the Patriots team got debacled.”
Classic Emmitt. This one was another repeat offender. When discussing going up against the Pats, Emmitt explained, “This kind of inconsistency play, going up against a team like New England, will get you completely blowed out.”
“Sharp as a whistle”
When discussing the Pats again, Emmitt didn’t mix his metaphors: “Go to Arizona, sharp as a whistle, and do some finishing touches, so we can go down in the Super Bowl and play our best football of the whole entire season.”
“The stripes of a leopard”
Back in Week 3 of the 2007 season, Emmitt was asked about the ability of Randy Moss to be a leader in New England. Emmitt’s response? “You cannot change the stripes of a leopard.” Indeed Emmitt, indeed.
Okay, this is what happens when I am sleep deprived and distracted.
Let's play some football!